Thursday, September 29, 2011

Breathing the Air

Today, over on First Mother Forum, Jane wrote something that I feel is probably the most prevalent attitude or feelings of mothers when confronted with adopters/adoptive parents/prospective adoptive parents - what ever they prefer.  Mostly it is an acute discomfort with the urge to scream, run, or fight..........

Talk about severe fight or flight reaction..... I know that I have it.

I know adoptive parents that are good people.  They don't adopt to fill up their house with babies, but out of their own needs (there is no such thing as altruism) and with respect to the real needs of a child that actually needs a home (not one stolen from some third world country, sold, or whatever, but a kid that has NO home to go to and it is verified information).  Even these people, most of the time, make me uncomfortable on some level.

For those adopters out there, and their cheering sections, I often have the feeling of eels sliding over my skin, their slime trail making me nauseous.  I really don't understand a person that can take a baby, no matter what they "believe" the situation is, and not bother to realize that they are tearing apart a family.  That instead of spending all that money to acquire a child, why don't they become the benefactors of a group of children in a hands on way.

I know that certain adopters need to stay a long way away from me.  They have earned my eternal disgust and the idea of them being near me makes me have to suppress urges to do things that are not in my basic nature.

But when I enter a place where adopters are, places where they meet (and yes, they do have little groups that they cling to - I avoid the Y during certain hours and on certain days), I often come out feeling as if I need a shower..... a long, scalding shower.

Is that wrong?    

No comments: